If you’re like most people, you’ve heard of Meals on Wheels – but how much do you really know about their mission and why you should support it? This guide gives you seven great reasons to support Meals on Wheels, plus guidance on what you can do to make a difference.
7 Reasons to Support Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels plays an important role in addressing food insecurity for seniors and disabled people all over Maryland. In fact, some people wouldn’t be able to live independently without assistance from the program. Check out these seven reasons supporting Meals on Wheels is a great choice:
- Meals on Wheels delivers up to two meals per day Monday through Friday to a person who wouldn’t ordinarily have access to this food.
- The program offers volunteer-supported grocery shopping and delivery for people who can’t shop for themselves.
- Meals on Wheels has an “Eating Together” program that provides well-balanced, nutritious meals to senior and adult day care centers.
- All the meals that the program delivers are diabetic-appropriate, low in sodium and fat, and very balanced. Kosher meals are available in Baltimore and some areas of Howard County, and Korean meals are available in Howard County.
- The program offers specials and holiday meals each month.
- Meals on Wheels volunteers and staff members are equipped to get immediate help when they encounter a dangerous or emergency situation.
- Meals on Wheels volunteers and staff alert family members, assess people’s immediate needs and act when a client doesn’t answer the door, seems out of sorts, or reports some type of concern.
How Can You Support Meals on Wheels?
Meals on Wheels provides an invaluable service to seniors all over Baltimore and Howard Counties, including the Phone Pal program, which helps reduce isolation and promote social engagement, as well as volunteer visits with clients. The program also provides the Kibble Connection Pet Food Delivery Program in partnership with the SPCA, which delivers free pet food so that people can keep their companion animals.
If you’re interested in supporting Meals on Wheels, there are several ways you can help. The organization is always looking for delivery volunteers, as well as people to pack meals and grocery shop for clients. If you’d like to participate in the Phone Pal program or visitor program, or if you want to deliver pet food or participate in any other way, you can apply to volunteer here. (And if you’re not sure how you’d be a good fit or where you’d like to volunteer, you can attend a volunteer info session here.)
Related: All the attractions to explore in Maryland during fall
Even More Ways to Contribute
You can complete all kinds of service projects to help Meals on Wheels participants, including filling mugs with soup, hot cocoa or other packaged treats, knit scarves to donate or even participate in a special holiday project during any time of year. Get more information on these and other programs here.
Related: Red flags to watch for when you tour homes in Baltimore County or Howard County
Are You Buying or Selling a Home in Baltimore County or Howard County?
If you’re ready to buy or sell a home in Baltimore County or Howard County, we can help. Check out these listings:
If you’re thinking about selling your home, we can help you sell it quickly – and at the best possible price. You can:
If you have specific questions, fill out the form below or call us at 443-955-1227 – we’re here to help you with any aspect of your real estate transaction.[wpforms id=”220617″]